Whole Body Hyperthermia
Hippocrates is reported to state that “Fever is a healing effort of the organism against disease; it cleanses the body like a fire.”
Whole-body hyperthermia is a therapeutic treatment that elevates the body’s core temperature up to 40 C to activate natural healing mechanisms. It can be used as adjunct therapy to enhance cancer therapies, fibromyalgia, depression, reduce pain, improve quality of life and promote detoxification.
What Does Whole Body Hypothermia Treat?
Whole-body hyperthermia has been shown to have various benefits for certain medical conditions, including:
- Cancer treatment: Hyperthermia has been shown to enhance the effects of radiation therapy and chemotherapy by sensitizing cancer cells to these treatments, making them more effective. It can also directly damage cancer cells by disrupting their proteins and DNA.
- Fibromyalgia: Whole-body hyperthermia has been shown to reduce pain and improve quality of life in patients with fibromyalgia.
- Depression: Emerging evidence suggests that whole-body hyperthermia might be useful in treating depression, although more research is needed in this area.
- Immune system enhancement: The onset of a fever triggers an enhanced immune response, and whole-body hyperthermia can similarly stimulate the immune system to fight off infections and diseases.
- Detoxification: Whole-body hyperthermia can help remove toxins and heavy metals from the body by increasing blood flow and stimulating the lymphatic system.
Benefits of Whole Body Hypotermia
- Increasing the body temperature makes the body a less favorable place for bacteria and viruses to multiply.
- Improves circulation – dilated blood vessels support higher blood flow that increase the oxygen, nutrient, hormone and enzyme supply to the affected areas
- White blood cells increase in volume and activity, increasing the body’s immune efficiency
- The excretion of toxins in sweat helps to detoxify the body. The excretion of toxins in sweat is important to health.
- Elevated Pulse helps to transport all the extra nutrients, oxygen, enzymes and hormones through the blood
- Increases metabolism – can burn up to 600 calories per 30-minutes session.
- Elevated Mitochondrial Function – optimum levels ensures the body has the energy it needs to perform its best and to support a strong immune system to help fight disease.
- Decreases muscular contracture and relieves tension and pain;spastic and stiff limbs can be moved after treatment, often without pain.
- Hyperthermia speeds the disposal of lactic acid and facilitates faster recovery after exercise
- Improves mental clarity
How Does it Work?
The Whole Body Hyperthermia System is a specially designed device in the form of a tent made of a flexible, thermally insulating material. While lying comfortably on the treatment table or bed, the tent is placed over the table with the patient inside during the IR radiation phase, with their head outside the tent. Radiation is able to penetrate the skin to a depth where the blood can absorb the heat and spread it throughout the tissue and organs. Subsequently the body’s core temperature is heated within 1-2 hours. Once the desired temperature has been reached, the tent walls can be folded down and wrapped on to the patient to maintain the elevated core temperature.
Hyperthermia therapy is always performed under supervised conditions with continuous monitoring of vital signs by registered nurses, including:
- Blood pressure
- PO2 (saturation of oxygen in the blood)
- Pulse rate
- Respiratory rate
Are There any Potential Side Effects?
Hyperthermia therapy is a non-invasive medical approach, but like any treatment, it may lead to unwanted side effects. Following the procedure, patients might experience sensations of being flushed and thirsty, but generally, the issues encountered are not severe. The specific side effects can vary depending on the patient’s individual factors, the treated body area, and the level of temperature elevation applied during the therapy. Our technicians will discuss all potential side effects prior to beginning the therapy.
Please note: This therapy must be used only as directed, and if symptoms persist, please seek medical advice.